
So who am I really? Shallowly, my name is Kaitlin and I am a Communications major with a track in speech and interpersonal communication and a minor in Political Science. A little less shallowly, to reflect my organized nature, I will list the first five adjectives that popped into my head as I was asked to describe myself. I will then elaborate on each of them. Here they were: driven, introverted, creative, opinionated, and sensitive.
I am driven, as a full-time college student balancing my GPA and campus involvement. I am an introverted reflector and find inspiration more from within than any other place. Since I am a big reflector, the question of who I am is not one I haven’t thought about before. I am also creative in my own way, especially as it pertains to writing.
My ideal career would be one where I am able to express myself through writing and independent innovation. In fact, writing has been the only persistent passion throughout my life. I have always had a very vivid imagination and used to write novels (never published, though) for fun when I was only eleven years old.
I am opinionated and rarely apathetic in any matter. I am sensitive – sometimes to a fault – and usually quick to pick up on and respond to signals from others. Although this was not one of the adjectives I chose, my Christian faith is also a major part of my life and who I am. My mother is primarily responsible for introducing me to these beliefs and instilling them in me.
When asked to write down five of the most important people in my life, each and every person was a family member – my mother, two sisters, father, and grandmother (or “Granny” as we call her). They are the most crucial people in my life. The ultimate I-thous. Nobody knows me like they do. My younger sisters and I are within three years of one another and I would definitely consider them my two best friends. I am also close with my parents and rarely go a day without talking to my mom on the phone at least twice.
Being away at college here in New Jersey, separated from the family I am so close to back home in Connecticut, has certainly been quite a positive character–building experience for me. However when I end phone conversations with my mom in, “can’t wait to live within spitting distance!” I truly do mean that. I feel that near my family is ultimately where I belong.
The me that I envision tomorrow is more assertive, self assured, self-accepting, decisive, honest, open, communicative, and firmly rooted in my religious beliefs than the me that is today. I am always working towards this envisioned me, but I do sometimes have to make sure I am not too hard on myself in the process since I tend to be, by far, my own worst critic.
Self confidence was never something that came naturally to me, but through my mid-teen years up until now, my confidence has slowly, but surely began to develop and continues to. To be honest, I have never truly felt like my own person until recently. Through this, I’ve realized that I need to know and embrace who I am now before I can ever become the person that I want to be.
I am driven, as a full-time college student balancing my GPA and campus involvement. I am an introverted reflector and find inspiration more from within than any other place. Since I am a big reflector, the question of who I am is not one I haven’t thought about before. I am also creative in my own way, especially as it pertains to writing.
My ideal career would be one where I am able to express myself through writing and independent innovation. In fact, writing has been the only persistent passion throughout my life. I have always had a very vivid imagination and used to write novels (never published, though) for fun when I was only eleven years old.
I am opinionated and rarely apathetic in any matter. I am sensitive – sometimes to a fault – and usually quick to pick up on and respond to signals from others. Although this was not one of the adjectives I chose, my Christian faith is also a major part of my life and who I am. My mother is primarily responsible for introducing me to these beliefs and instilling them in me.
When asked to write down five of the most important people in my life, each and every person was a family member – my mother, two sisters, father, and grandmother (or “Granny” as we call her). They are the most crucial people in my life. The ultimate I-thous. Nobody knows me like they do. My younger sisters and I are within three years of one another and I would definitely consider them my two best friends. I am also close with my parents and rarely go a day without talking to my mom on the phone at least twice.
Being away at college here in New Jersey, separated from the family I am so close to back home in Connecticut, has certainly been quite a positive character–building experience for me. However when I end phone conversations with my mom in, “can’t wait to live within spitting distance!” I truly do mean that. I feel that near my family is ultimately where I belong.
The me that I envision tomorrow is more assertive, self assured, self-accepting, decisive, honest, open, communicative, and firmly rooted in my religious beliefs than the me that is today. I am always working towards this envisioned me, but I do sometimes have to make sure I am not too hard on myself in the process since I tend to be, by far, my own worst critic.
Self confidence was never something that came naturally to me, but through my mid-teen years up until now, my confidence has slowly, but surely began to develop and continues to. To be honest, I have never truly felt like my own person until recently. Through this, I’ve realized that I need to know and embrace who I am now before I can ever become the person that I want to be.
3 comments:
I love what you said about your family, I agree with that alot. I am so close with my family and its rare to find people who are. I think you did a great job with your blog, I really learned a lot about you by reading that and can tell you are very focused on school and very excited about moving forward in life.
Kaitlin, I liked how you chose the random adjectives to describe yourself. I think it worked out for you better than maybe you thought it would as you started writing your post, because I was clearly able to get to know you through them. I can't imagine being so far from my family as you are, so I give you credit for being here!
Also, I give you kudos for stepping out in your faith -- I know it can be tough sometimes, especially when others oppose you, but it's great to know there's someone else who isn't afraid to stand for what she believes in!
I can also relate when you wrote about your issues with self-confidence, and being sensitive "to a fault" - we have a lot in common!
Great job, and it's nice to get to know you. :)
Kaitlin,
It's very clear that you're a writer because your post was written beautifully. I really enjoyed reading it.
I found your introduction particularly interesting because you said that you're not merely a name, but so much more than that. You made that very evident throughout the rest of your blog.
I loved how you said you get most of your inspiration from within yourself because that shows that you truly know yourself and what's best for you. You said at times you can be your own worst critic, but you seem to have come into your own skin. That's very admirable.
I love that your family means most to you in the world because I'm one of the most family-oriented person I know... and now I know another!
I completely agree that you can't fully grow into the person you hope to be without getting to know and loving yourself first. You definitely seem to be on the right track! Great post!
Post a Comment